Zeppelin Field

The Zeppelin Grandstand and the Zeppelin Field were built on the Zeppelin meadow according to plans drawn up by Albert Speer.
Rows of columns flanked the central section of the main spectators’ stand, which was 300 metres in length, reminiscent of the Pergamon Altar on which it was modelled. The Zeppelin Field could accommodate up to 100,000 people. The main stand and the side stands provided seating for 60,000 spectators. Six Nazi party rallies were held here between 1933 and 1938.
The Zeppelin Field has been altered in the meantime: in 1945, the US Army blew up the swastika on top of the Zeppelin Grandstand. The rows of columns along the main grandstand, which were in a poor state of repair, were blown up in 1967. In 1945/46, ownership of the Zeppelin Grandstand property was transferred back to the municipal authorities. Since then, open-air events of every kind have been held on the grounds. From 1985 to 2001, the Zeppelin Grandstand housed the temporary exhibition “Fascination and Terror”. The complex was immortalised in Leni Riefenstahl’s film, ‘Triumph of the Will”, which shows Hitler as a superhuman Messiah figure descending on Nuremberg from the air. The film is banned in Germany.